It's My Blog And I'll Say What I Want To

Wednesday Recipe

Most everyone who knows me knows I make fantastic salsa. Only a few actually know how I make it. It's not really a big secret. If anything what's in it is fairly normal, it's the cooking time I think that makes all the difference.

To make it I use:

4 Big cans of Stewed Tomatoes.
1 big Jalapeno Pepper (look for stretch marks to find a good hot one, smooth for a mild one)
2 decent sized onions, any kind is fine but Vidalia's seem to taste best
1 bunch of Cilantro, use to taste. I use about 1/4 of the bunch
1 can of water, maybe more if it seems too thick
2 cloves of Garlic
Salt and Pepper to taste

I don't chop anything. I put everything except the water in my food processor. When it's sufficiently chopped, I pour it into a big pot and let it simmer for about 4 hours. I add the water as needed so that it's not too thick but not too thin either.

The beauty of this recipe is that you can do it to taste and it's easy. No tomatoes to peel. However you could also get some fresh tomatoes, blanch them and use those just the same.

Another good thing about this is my kids LOVE salsa and chips. The major brands are roughly $3 per bottle and there's not much there. This recipe makes roughly 10 of those large bottles and costs me right at $7 at the most to make. It can be frozen too!

Nessa
Add to Technorati Favorites

0 comments: